In January, the Biden administration announced that it would make 400 million free N95 face masks available at pharmacies and health centers nationwide.
Federal officials said the masks provide better protection against the omicron variant of COVID-19 than cloth masks. Each person will be permitted to receive three masks.
The N95 respirator masks are regulated in the U.S. by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The KN95 masks are regulated by the Chinese government.
N95 masks fit tighter around the face so as to not allow air in around the edges. The KN95 masks have a looser fit. N95 masks, according to the CDC, “filters at least 95% of airborne particles but [are] not resistant to oil-based particles.”
Masks that are approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health will be marked with the NIOSH number.
Counterfeit face masks have been an issue since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Manufacturers will claim they are selling approved masks and even hijack approval numbers and names of other brands. You can see respirator masks that have received approval here.
If you have been unable to find the free masks, they can be purchased online from these retailers that have them in stock now:
- Harley N95, semi-rigid molded respirator face mask, box of 20, $114.
- Harley N95, foldable respirator face mask, box of 20, $45.
- Powecom KN95 face mask with ear loops, box of 10 in gray, $16; box of 10 in denim, $16; box of 10 in red, $16; and box of 10 in pink, $16; box of 10 in black, $14.
- Powecom KN95 in white, box of 10 for $12.
- Powecom KN95-SM for children or smaller adults, box of 10, $13.
- Bonafidemasks also has headband-style Powecom KN95 respirator masks, however, they are out of stock. You can pre-order them in white or black. A box of 10 costs $15.
- ALG Health N95 soft shell mask, 20 in a pack for $49.99.
- ALG Health N95 hard cup shell, 25 in a pack for $54.99.
- Harley N95 soft shell masks, 20 in a pack for $49.99.
- Harley N95 hard shell masks, 20 in a pack for $49.99.
- 3M N95 particulate respirator, box of 10 for $29.99.
- KN95 disposable face masks, white, pack of 50 for $54.99; pack of 25 for $29.99; pack of 10 for $14.99.
- Greencare KN95 disposable face masks in black, pack of 50 for $54.99; pack of 40 for $47.99; pack of 20 for $24.99.
- NQX KN95 face masks, a box of 40 for $39.99; a box of 20 for $21.99
- Guoyan kids KN95 respirator masks, box of 20 for $29.99.
- Wellbefore N95 respirator masks, fold flat, in black or white, $1.59 each
- Harley N95 folding masks, $1.99 each.
- Makrite Sekura N95 mask, $1.99 each.
- Makrite Sekura model 9600 N95 masks, $2.25 each.
- Moldex model 1513 N95 respirator surgical mask, $2.99 each.
- Well Before KN95 individually wrapped masks, $1.19 each.
- Well Before KN95 masks for kids, individually wrapped, $1.19 each.
Americhem is a company based in Middletown. Masks can be purchased there, 1401 AIP Drive. Customers can call 717-939-7100 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.